Study Guide for Section 1
1. Which age segment of the population suffers disproportionately from hunger and malnutrition? Explain. Is this morally
Children under the age of 5. At this age, children are completely reliant on their caregivers (p
Study Guide for Section 3
1. What are the three main forms of land degradation, and the percentage of their contribution to global land
Erosion (wind + water) = 83%
Agricultural causes: plowing + bare fields (no roots to hold land to
Section 5 Study Guide
Where was the center of the slave trade in the new world? Why? Explain the slave trade triangle.
Center: Africa because thats where all the slaves were coming from
Slaves bought or captured in Africa and sent to the Caribbean to w
Study Guide for Section 4
1. Compare and contrast reciprocity and redistribution economic systems, and the kinds of societies that use them.
Reciprocity Economic System (Hunting + Gathering Societies):
Gift giving creates an obligation to return similar g
What is Oral Rehydration Therapy and why is it so effective? Explain.
It is a treatment for dehydration associated with diarrhea. It consists of a solution of salts and sugars that is taken by the mouth. The
sugar crosses the intestinal lining, pulling
1. Why is delayed menarche associated with undernutrition? Explain.
Girls with a low body fat percentage produce less estrogen, which is needed for menstruation. If a girl is
undernourished while she is growing up, her first menstruation will be delayed.
1. Explain Leathers and Fosters economic argument that a policy aimed at reducing over-consumption in the U.S. would be
Would require huge tax on food (income surtax of 45% and food tax 4%)
2. What are distortionary farm subsidies, and why is
News report: Type 2 Diabetes in Children
Thirty years ago, type 2 diabetes mellitus has been thought to be a rare occurrence in
children. It typically develops in adults over the age of 40. However, in the recent years, there
has been an alarming increase