- Happy ending > restored community
- Strong differences between female vs. male community
- Male community- not a community; competitive, not communal
All men Bertrams age competing for a limited supply of honor
- Scrap-goating- One
19th November: Cleopatra day
- Why no recrimination for Anthony?
Pg 290; (4.15.120): timing awkward; Anthony asks to be taken to Cleopatra
Anthony has not time for recrimination and a rewrite: the script he imagines he will write
has been cast, and he c
Loss of Faith
- The New Philosophy/Science calls to question how one judges/applies a standard of judge ment/the presence of a Just superior power
- People were unsure to what to value, even if their souls were at stake
- Traditional view o
Taming of the Shrew continued
- Who can speak/appear/act in public?
- Arendt: public realm when people appear to each other explicitly- reality of the world is verified byt he presence of others
When people come together in a polis, a public is former- p
Clip of the ending of Taming
- Kate trying to assert herself as something above her father; has a lot of disdain for her family
By claiming her husband as hers (Petruchio is clearly well-liked), she rises above her sta tion
- Kate and Petruchio cant leav
Dos and Dont about the Quiz
Do not write:
Does not have to
Instead write its not aloud!
- More important to explain than correcting
- Use grammar terminology
- Use complete sentences (capital letter, punctuati
- Multitude of outlooks and an infinite possibility of experiences, but a diminished sense of self
- Inability to form lasting social bonds due to constant shape-shifting, avoiding moral responsib ility as a god
- Too much responsibility; a
The Double-Bind/ the Impossible Decision: to save or kill
- Issues of morality go out of window in extreme situations, but it doesnt lessen the importance
of our actions/the importance of thinking of the moral consequences of our action
How does one act virtuously int he play?
- Duke of Albany- virtuous but is unable to act on his virtue (weak figure- overpowered by wife)
Registers some of the confusion that grips the whole play
Why do the sisters go from parts-in-crime to enemies?