21. Which are more realistic given our current understanding of earthquakes, predictions or forecasts?
-Forecasting long term is more realistic
22. In what plate tectonic settings do most large (M>6) earthquakes occur?
-Occurs in the interior of a tectoni
7. How can P- and S-waves be used to determine earthquake distance/location?
-The P waves are a compressional and transmitted by solids and liquids
-The S waves they are shearing and not transmitted by liquids
-So using the average speeds of P and S we ca
. Which plates are separated by the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, and in what directions are they
-The Eurasian plate and North American Plate are separated from the African and South
Move away from each other
13. What are the three types of
1. What is stress?
-Force exerted against an object (i.e., magnitude of force divided by the area over which
it is applied).
-Four Types of Stress:
-Compressive stress= squeezes objects together
-Tensile stress= pulls objects apart
What is the rock cycle?
13. Be able to describe and sketch the rock cycle as it relates to plate tectonics.
1. What is the principle of uniformitarianism and why is it important to the study of ancient
-The assumption that the geologi
Why are natural disasters becoming more frequent and more costly?
-More frequent/costly: more people and more infrastructure
18. Globally, which three natural hazards are the most deadly?
-3 most deadly natural hazards: hurricanes, earthquakes, floods
GLG-121B SPRING 2013
REVIEW FOR HOUR EXAM #1
Introduction to Geology and Natural Hazards and Disasters
1. What event does the Big Bang theory attempt to explain?
-Universe began as an extremely small/dense point that exploded outward