Ch. 5 Active Review
1. Cephalocaudal development describes the processes by which development proceeds from the _ to the lower parts of
2. The _ principle means that development proceeds from the trunk outward.
3. Infants usually double their bi
1. Is it legitimate for the government to prevent people from committing suicide? Why or why not? I actually think that this is legitimate for the government to prevent people from committing suicide. The government aims to protect our lives and property.
1. Reflecting on the U.N. Universal Declaration of Human Rights (pages 392-394), what rights do you think you have and what rights do you think you lack? Support your answer. (Question 2 on page 432) I think that I have the rights in articles 1, 3, 4, 5,
1. John works for a large pharmaceutical firm. His superior has ordered him to falsify test reports on a new arthritis pain reliever, writing fictitious reports on imaginary tests that were never conducted. Everyone at the company is certain that the pain
1. Tom believes that infanticide is wrong and Brenda believes that it is not wrong. How would a third person, Phil, judge the dispute between them if Phil were (a) a moral nihilist, (b) a moral subjectivist, (c) a moral relativist, and (d) a divine comman
1. Youre a juror at a murder trial. Explain in detail how you could be justified in considering it beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused is guilty. Then, show how you would argue that there is no way that we can be certain that the accused is guilty.
1. Answer question 1 in chapter 4 (page 132). Then, explore the following questions as well. If Karen Ann Quinlan were reincarnated, what part of her would be reincarnated? If there is immortality after death, in heaven for instance, what identity would s
1. Do you think that you mind and/or soul will exist after the death of your body? Is there evidence for or against this? Please note that your religious convictions may teach that a soul exists after death. However, in this question, you are asked to go
Give an example of a cogent argument for theism, for atheism, and for agnosticism. Which do you think is the best position and why?
A cogent argument is a clear, logical and convincing argument. Theism is a belief in the existence of god or gods, especial