MSE538 HW 1 (Jan 21, 2014)
Due Jan. 28, 2014
1. Explain why stress is non-uniform on a microscopic scale in a material.
2. A 5-cm. diameter solid shaft is simultaneously subjected to an axial load of 80 kN and a
torque of 400 Nm.
a. Determine the principa
HW 3 (Feb. 4, 2014)
Due Feb. 11, 2014
1. The tensile test data of an AA5083 Al alloy are given in an excel file. Calculate the nvalue of the alloy.
2. In an experiment to determine the stress field by measuring strains on the surface of a
steel plate. a,
Homework 4 (2/12/2014)
due date: 2/25/2014
1. Consider the stress states,
10 3 0
15 3 0
3 10 0 and 3 5 0 MPa.
0 0 0
0 0 5
a) Find m for each stress field;
b) Find the deviatoric stress in the normal directions for each stress field.
2. When a brass tensil
MSE538 HW 2 (Jan 28, 2014)
Due Feb. 4, 2014
1. A stress field in a cubic crystal is given in the crystal coordinate system as follows,
The new coordinate system is X: , Y: [-1-11], and Z: [1-10]. Find the rotation
Formability does not correlate with ductility
measured in a tension test, since cracking could
occur on the surface.
Experimental tests to evaluate the ability to form
useful shapes, in addition to the properties related
LUANA STEPHANIE SANTOS OLIVEIRA
University of Kentucky
Department of Materials Engineering
Prof. Tony Zhai
April 29, 2014
Table of Contents
2. Working Principle.3
Tensor: physical quantities that transform with
coordinate axes. It contains component of 3n (n: the
e.g.: S and S: same vector in two coordinate
Also transformation matrix.
Choppers customized by Jesse James
(many parts hands made)
Metal Shape Forming
By large plastic deformation
Primary deformation processing
To reduce an ingot/billet size for
standard secondary deformation