1. How many lattice points per unit cell does the facecentered cubic lattice
2. Suppose hard spheres are stacked so that each sphere rests on the sphere
below it and touches the spheres next to it on the same level. What is this
1. Suppose that a physical experiment has two possible outcomes. The rst
outcome can occur in two possible ways and the second outcome can occur in
four different ways with all of the ways being equally likely to occur. What
is the probability that the rs
1. Write down a general expression for the wave function of the electron in
3 polar coordmates. l" l rD
W F mm) W i\ l
t, - Aware . 7.
(3 1 \i \_
2. Make a drawing of the radial function 13(1) ) for the 1.,9 23 and 21) states 5:
L11 Fig/101;? 'i /30
JV 0 - '-
3 1. Write down an equation defining the :u'igulnr momentum of a particle; l in
terms of the position 1' and momentum p.
j; '1' 21
glmiim il' 311111
3 2. What would be the wavelength of a wave described by th
3 1. Sketch the form of the wave functions corresponding to the three lowest
energy levels of a particle conned to an innite potential well.
2 Suppose that a particle localized between a and 2) 1S described by the wave
3 function l/J(I
[5 pcints l- The scd'lum etcm cfw_Na bee e nuclear charge 3 = 11. What
are the three laweet ccnguraticns 0f andlum'i"
let-31: a") e:
cfw_5 pciuts] 2. What are the pcssihle 1.ralues cf the tctal angular mcmeutum 3'
far a single 3p electrcu in all
Modern Ph sics Name
5 points 1. What would be the phase Speed 0 a
function, u(:t:, t) 2 Asin 27r(0.59:/cm ~ 0 lt/s)?
LO; 0,)(93/7615 :UW' 7; <3)?
e escribed by the
0g) 0,] .23 CH!
v: 5 "-1 -~ (6 i: G cfw_(3 /j
' K 05
(5 points) 2. What mod
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
I.1: The Concepts of Particles and Waves
A particle is an object with a definite mass concentrated at a single location in space.
A wave is a disturbance that propagates through space.
I.1.1. The v
QUIZ # 2 - PHYS 300 (Mendes, spring 2010)
1. (a) The energy required to remove an electron from sodium is 2.3 eV. What is the
cutoff wavelength for photoelectric emission from sodium? (b) Does sodium show a
photoelectric effect for yell
QUIZ # 1 - PHYS 300 (Mendes, spring 2010)
1) At a given temperature, max 650 nm for a blackbody cavity. What will max be if
the temperature of the cavity walls is increased so that the rate of emission of spectral
radiation is doubled?
.1. Write down a formula specifying the points in a one—dimensional reciprocal
'2. Supmme al :2 ("L/‘20 + and a3 2 (1/202 + i). What is al x 3.2?
3. Using Bloch’s theorem, write down a. formula. relating the functiens
-q7:k(r + l) and with). (5