Chapter 3 Vocab
1. Embedded Instruction- the use of a childs daily activities to teach and reinforce key
2. Evidence based practice- those that have been shown to work through research,
September 20, 2015
Chapter 4 Vocabulary
1. Intellectual and Developmental disabilities- formerly termed mental retardation and has
evolved though many changes over the last century.
2. Mental retardation-name before it was cha
September 29, 2015
Chapter 5 Vocabulary
1. Unexplained Underachievement- a learning problem that does not have a neurological base but
which is characterized by performance below expected levels.
2. Twice Exceptional- presence
1. The idea of educating every child to achieve his or her greatest potential is a relatively recent one.
Societal Responses to Children with Exceptionalities
Instructor Mrs. Gordon
Chapter 2 Key Terms
1. American Recovery & reinvestment act- Federal legislation passed in 2009 to
stimulate economic recovery, including large one-time grants for early intervention
Chapter 8 Key Terms
1. Antecedent Behaviors- Behaviors which precede a student in crisis, which may lead to greater
understanding of the student behavior.
2. Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)- A learning approach that is based on
Chapter 3 key terms
1. Apgar test- The first infant screening is done in the hospital at one minute and five
minutes after birth.
2. Behavioral Support Plan- A plan of services devised by teachers and parents to give
support to children tryi
Chapter 1 Vocabulary
1. Children with Exceptionalities- Children whose performance deviates from the norm, either below or
above, to the extent that special education is needed.
1. Children with learning and/ or behavio
1. The Abecedarian Study demonstrated that the quality of early child care had little impact
on the outcomes for children with disabilities.
2. Although early learning is important, the brain remains equally "plastic" througho
Chapter 11 terms
1. Austral- South
2. Southern Ocean- the ocean that surrounds Antarctica.
3. Subtropical Convergence- narrow marine transition zone, girdling the globe at
approximately latitude 40S, that marks the equatorward limit of th
Chapter 12 Terms
1. High islands- cultures associated with volcanic islands of the Pacific Realm that are high
enough in elevation to wrest substantial moisture from the tropical ocean air.
2. Low islands- cultures associated with low-lyi
Chapter 6 Key Terms
1. Anticipatory anxiety- fear and undermining of self-confidence caused by past
experiences of failure and frustration, which can sabotage success with new experiences.
2. Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorders- dis
Chapter 3 Key Terms
1. Apgar Test: A screening test administered to an infant at one minute and
five minutes after birth.
2. Behavioral Support Plan: A plan of services devised by teachers and
parents to give support to chil
Chapter 2 Key Terms
1. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: Federal legislation passed in
2009 to stimulate economic recovery, including large one-time grants for
early intervention services.
2. Americans with Disabilitie
Chapter 2 Vocabulary
1. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Federal legislation passed in 2009 to stimulate
economic recovery, including large one-time grants for early intervention services
2. Americans with Disabil
Moral Dilemma Exercise
Why spend this extra money on students who will have to struggle to maintain themselves
in society and may never be able to contribute to society?
A. A school board member responsible for the education budget:
As a member of the sch
Chapter Two Terms
1. Ecology of the child- Context of the child
2. Public Law 88-164- Authorized funds for training professionals to work with children
with special needs and for research and demonstration.
3. Public Law 94-142- Designed to assure that al
Moral Dilemma: Inclusion and Student Harassment
1. What is Mr. Bascomb's responsibility in this situation?
Mr. Bascombs responsibility is to address the situation and make sure the kids
understand Carlos situation and what tormenting him could do to him a
Chapter Five Terms
1. Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)- A learning approach based on individual analysis of a
students functioning and relies on the learning of behaviors to remediate learning
2. Aspergers Syndrome(AS)- A form of autism that feat
Chapter Four Terms
1. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities- Formerly termed mental retardation,
significant delay in intellectual development and adaptive behavior.
2. Mental retardation- Term formerly used for children with intellectual and develo
Chapter Three Terms
1. Early intervention- Provide necessary supports and services to optimize the childs
development as early as possible,
2. Family-Centered Early Intervention- Working with families as partners, respecting their
strengths, values, and d
Assignment for Chapter Fourvalue= 1 point for each for a maximum of 20 points.
Fill in these blanks from reading Chapter Fourthey are key terms.
Send in the answers only (numbered) in an email with the subject line Chapter 4 Answers.
DEADLINE: Noon on Sep
Chapter 1 Key Terms
1. Child with Exceptionalities: a child who differs from the typical child in
(1) mental characteristics, (2) sensory abilities, (3) communication abilities,
(4) behavior and emotional development and/or (5)
Chapter 5 Key Terms
1. Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA): A learning approach that is based on
individual analysis of a students functioning and relies on the learning of
behaviors to remediate learning problems.
Chapter 4 Key Terms
1. Central processing: Classification of a stimulus through the use of
memory, reasoning, and evaluation; the second step in the informationprocessing model.
2. Cooperative learning: A set of instructiona
Chapter 10 Questions
Directions: Use your textbook to answer the questions below. Click your cursor after each question and
respond/answer in a different color.