Chapter 6 Protein
1. List some plant sources of protein.
Some plant sources of protein include grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds.
2. What are amino acids?
Amino acids are the main component of proteins.
3. Describe the general structure of a protein.
Chapter 8: The Water-Soluble Vitamins
1. Why is thiamin deficiency common in alcoholics?
Thiamin absorption is decreased due to the effect of alcohol on the GI tract. The
liver damage associated with alcoholism reduces conversion of thiamin to the active
Chapter 5 Lipids
1. How have the sources of fat in the American diet changed over the past 40 years?
The sources of fat in the Ameican diet have not changed much. People have
attempted to cut out their fat intake, not realizing that they are not consuming
Chapter 7: Energy Balance and Weight Management part 2
Define the following:
1. Eating Disorder Any type of physiological disorder characterized by abnormal or
nearly absent eating habits.
2. Anorexia Nervosa eating disorder characterized by a pathologica
Chapter 3: Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism
1. What is peristalsis? What is segmentation?
Peristalsis consists of the muscular movements that help move food products
along the GI tract. Segmentation works alongside peristalsis in that it is the
Carbohydrates in the Modern Diet
Carbohydrates are the basis of most modern diets.
Carbohydrates in whole foods, such as fresh fruit, diary or whole grains, are in their
Refining carbohydrates separates the carbohydrates from thei
Digestion, Absorption, and Metabolism
Overview of the Digestive System
Digestion: process of breaking food into components small enough to be absorbed
by the body
Absorption: process of taking substances into the interior of the body
Nutrition Guidelines: Applying the Science of Nutrition
Nutrition Recommendations for the Modern Diet
Dietary Reference Intakes
Nutrition recommendations need to satisfy a variety of needs.
Different types of dietary guidelines target different
Dietetics 200 6MW
January 25, 2016
Chapter 2 Course Preparation Assignment
1. Which types of DRI standards can be used as a goal for individual
a) Estimated Average Requirements (EARs)
b) Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDAs)
DIET 200 6MW
February 1, 2016
1. What is the smallest unit of plant and animal life?
The smallest unit of plant and animal life is atoms.
2. List three organ systems involved in the digestion and absorption of
The mount, p
January 19, 2016
Chapter 1 - Course Preparation Assignment
1. How does the typical U.S. diet compare to recommendations for a
Today the U.S. chooses to eat processed food and fast-paced food
because of thei
Nutrition: Food for Health
Nutrition is a science that studies the interactions between living organisms and food.
Nutrients and energy are provided by food.
Energy is measured in kilocalories (kcal) or kilojoules (kjoules/kJs).