Chapter 4 Objective
Explain what is meant by plate tectonics.
2. List the divisions of the continental margin, the types of continental margins and how
they are recognized.
3. Explain the three types of plate boundaries: the motion associated with each
Chapter 10 Objectives
1. List the different type of seismic waves and what they can be used for.
2. Explain earthquakes: how can they be measured, what causes them, how do they move,
where do they occur and the damage they cause.
Chapter 3 Objectives
1. Be able to explain Wegener's theory of continental drift and the evidence he used to
support it and why it was not accepted.
2. Identify the proof of continental drift.
3. Explain what set the stage for sea floor spreading and the
The Way the Earth Works:
What Do We Mean By Plate Tectonics?
Combining the sea floor spreading theory
with continental drift and information on
global seismicity, the new theory of Plate
Tectonics became a cohe
A Violent Pulse: Earthquakes
Are waves of energy that travel through the Earth's layers
Are result of an earthquake, explosion, or a volcano
Are used the determine the structure of the Earth
Chapter 10 Study Notes
What are seismic waves? What are they the result of? What do we use them for?
Waves of energy that travel through the Earths layers
Result of an earthquake, explosion, or a volcano
Used to determine the structure of the Ear
Chapter 2 Study Notes
How is the Earth like an egg?
Thin, light crust (eggshell)
Thicker, more dense mantle (eggwhite)
Innermost, very dense core (yolk)
2. Label the structure of the earth.
We will first look at the structure of the earth in terms of c
Drifting Continents and Spreading Seas
The oceans and the continents were permanently fixed.
The face of Earth had not changed throughout time.
Alfred Wegener (1880-1930)
Structure of The Earth
A Layered Earth
The first key to understanding Earths interior:
In 1896, Emil Wiechert made important contributions.
He determined that metal must be present in Earths interior.
He deduced that the metal must
Chapter 3 Study Notes
What was the thinking in terms of oceans and continents before Wegener?
Geologists thoughts the oceans were permanently fixed
What did Alfred Wegener proposed? What was the name of the supercontinent?
Land masses slowly move
Chapter 4 Study Notes
What is plate tectonics?
Combining the sea floor spreading theory with continental drift and information
on global seismicity, the new theory of Plate Tectonics became a coherent theory
to explain crustal movements
What are pla