1. Draw & describe & explain a typical neuron. Include important structural parts, their function,
and direction of information flow.
Soma (cell body): cell maintenance
dendrites: primary targets for synaptic input
axons: carry action pote
Crawfish - Motor Nerve
(Adapted from Richard F. Olivo, Smith College, MA)
The Crawfish is a simple model system with which to explore basic concepts in
neurophysiology. Here we introduce extracellular recording using suction electr
Introduction to Electrophysiology
Voltage (V) is an electrical potential difference (i.e., separation of charge) across a barrier. In
excitable cells (nerve and muscle), there is an electr
Study Guide Exam 3
1. Briefly describe electrical synapses. Describe / explain / discuss experiments that would determine if
two neurons were electrically coupled via electrical synapses
2. Briefly describe chemical synapses. Name some neurotransmitters f
Study Guide Exam 1
1. Draw & describe & explain a typical neuron. Include important structural parts, their function, and direction
of information flow.
2. Describe & explain & discuss techniques that can be used to study the microanatomy of neurons.