January 20, 2016
Chapter 1 Homework
6. A protocol is a set of rules established for users to exchange information.
7. Topology is the architecture of a network.
12. The seven layers of the OSI model are the physical laye
Chapter 5 Homework
10. The network interface card operates at what layer of the OSI model?
12. What is a bridge?
A networking device that uses the MAC address to forward data and interconnect two
Chapter 3 Homework
2. List five advantages of an optical communications link.
1. Extremely wide system bandwidth
2. Immunity to electrostatic interference
3. Elimination of crosstalk
4. Lower signal attenuation t
Ch. 6 HW
Chapter 6 Homework
9. Describe how a TCP connection is terminated.
First a host B sends a FIN (finish) packet to Host A, indicating that transmission is complete. Host
A responds back with an ACK packet acknowledgi
Chapter 9 Homework
1. What is a routing table?
Keeps track of the routes to use for forwarding data to its destination.
2. What is the most common static route used in a host computer?
The default gateway
Chapter 7 Homework
3. Define a broadcast domain.
A broadcast domain means any broadcast sent out on the network is seen by all hosts in this
4. What is a flat network?
A network where the LANS share the
Chapter 4 Homework
1. List Two Advantages of Wireless Networking
A cost-effective networking media for use in areas that are difficult or too costly to wire
User mobility in the work place
2. What is the pur
Chapter 8 Homework
1. What is a VLAN?
A group of host computers and servers that are configured as if they are in the same LAN even if they
reside across routers in separate LANs.
2. List three types of VLANS.