1. Which of the following organisms are important in sewage treatment?
a. E. coli
2. A seven year old female has one week history of fever, sore throat and headache. Which
pathogen would most likely grow from her
1. The soluble serum protein that is responsible for cell lysis is called?
2. Agents that kill bacteria are said to be.
3. Transfer of antibodies from a pregnant woman to her fetus is known as
Naturally acquired active immunity
Study Guide for Chapter 24 Immunity and Host Defense
Adaptive immunity- The acquired ability to recognize and destroy a particular pathogen or its
products; dependent on previous exposure to the pathogen or its products.
Allergy- A harmful immu
1) This soluble serum protein that is responsible for lysis is called?
b) Complementc) Albumin
2) Agents that kill bacteria are said to be
Study Guide for Chapter 25 Immune Mechanisms
Antibody (Immunoglobulin)- A soluble protein produced by B lymphocytes and plasma cells
that interacts specifically with antigen; also called immunoglobulin.
Antigen- A molecule capable of interactin
Ch. 27 Study Guide: Microbial Growth Control
1. DEFINE AND GIVE EXAMPLES OF STERILIZATION, DISINFECTION, AND
- STERILIZATION the KILLING or REMOVAL of all LIVING organisms and THEIR
VIRUSES from a growth medium
- EX: Heat Sterilization via AU
Chapter 23 Study Guide Microbial Interactions with Humans
Attenuation - In a pathogen, a decrease or loss of virulence. Also, a mechanism for controlling gene
expression; typically, transcription is terminated after initiation but before a full