FML. -Backus Naur Form
A grammar has:
ALPHABET is a finite set of symbols that appear in
Dark highlights for questions I dont find likely to be on the test , and blue for the ones I find important
1. What are the three general characteristics of subprograms?
1. What is the definition used in this chapter for simple subprograms?
By simple it means that subprograms cannot be nested and all local variables are static.
Concepts of Programming Languages Chapter 1 Answers
1. why is it useful for a programmer to have some background in language design, even though he or
she may never actually design a programming language?
because understanding the basic makes it easier to
Evolution of the Major Programming Languages
1. In what year was Plankalk designed? In what year was that design published?
-It was designed in 1945, and published in 1972.
2. What two common data structures were included in Plankalk ?
8. Show a complete parse, including the parse stack contents, input string,
and action for the string (id + id) * id, using the grammar and parse
table in Section 4.5.3.
LR parsing table 4.5.3
(id + id) * id
We always start with zero
Review Questions CHP 5
1.What are the design issues for names?
The design issues for names are Are the name case sensitive? and Are special words reserved for words or
2. What is the potential danger of case-sensitive names?
readability (names t
Notes after first test:
3 reasons we study programming languages
know the syntax for a pointer, memory locations, display value of pointer
give an example of readability Vs. writeability
give an example of cost Vs. reliability
Review Question for chp3
1. Define syntax and semantics.
Syntax is the form programming languages expressions, statements, and program units. Semantics is
the meaning of those expressions, statements, and program units.
2.Who are language descriptions for
Also see: https:/quizlet.com/72489875/chapter-4-programming-languages-flash-cards/
1. What are three reasons why syntax analyzers are based on grammars?
Provides a clear and concise syntax description
The parser can be
/ The main program
function sub1() cfw_
function sub2() cfw_
function sub3() cfw_
Assume that the execution of this program is in the following unit order:
main calls sub1