Topic 12 Hallucinogens
I. Hallucinogens The word "hallucinate" comes from Latin words meaning, "to wander in the
2.Biogenic amines - cross-tolerance between these two, but not the other
Topic 9 - Sedative Hypnotics
~14 million Americans have problems with alcohol directly
7 million are alcoholics
10% of the drinkers drink 50% of the alcohol
50 - 70 % of all homicides involve alcohol
o 25 - 35 % of all suicides
Topic 14 Psychostimulants
A. What are the major psychostimulants?
1. Amphetamines: d or l / Methamphetamine
2. Cocaine - (Erythroxylum coca)
3. Methylphenidate (Ritalin) A nonamphetamine behavioral stimulant with a
regular-release formulation half-life of
Topic 11 Opiates
The standard is morphine
1. One of the oldest drug classes known - evidence of use 7,000 yrs ago
2. In Middle Ages, Paracelsus (1520) combined opium, wine and spices
into the drink
laudanum ("something to be praised").
Topic 3: Neurotransmitters and receptors
I. General Principles
A. Synthesis making of the transmitters
1. Formation of transmitters
2. Precursors are the main ingredients
a. Brought to the neuron by the bloodstream
b. Taken up by cell body and / or termin
Bipolar I - At least one episode of mania and depression
Bipolar II - Major depressive and hypomanic episodes
Mixed Bipolar Disorder
People with mixed bipolar disorder experience depressi
Introduction to Pharmacokinetics
Pharmacology the science of drugs
Derived from the Greek Pharmacon (medication, potion, poison)
Why and how does a drug act?
What is a Drug?
From the French drogue = dry powder?
A nonfood chemical that alters on
Topic 10 Cannabis
1. Most commonly used illegal drug in the world: In 2009, 25% of US teenagers had smoked
in the past month (Partnership for a Drug-Free America, 2010).
2. Difcult to classify - like sedatives, but not like barbit
What are the Anxiety Disorders?
Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Symptoms of Anxiety
What are the drug treatments fo