What you'll learn to do: explain the concept of a price index and explain how price indices are derived
In this section, you will learn about the basics behind price indexes and how to calculate the general price of a good or service while accounting for the rate of inflation and changes in costs and prices.
The specific things you’ll learn in this section include:
- Define the consumer price index and the producer price index
- Calculate a price index number given a basket of goods & services and the nominal price of each in a base year and at some later time
The learning activities for this section include:
- Reading: Price Indexes
- Self Check: Price Indexes
- Reading: The CPI and PCE
- Reading: How Changes in the Cost of Living are Measured
- Self Check: Consumer Price Index vs. Producer Price Index
- Reading: Tracking Inflation
- Self Check: Calculating Price Indexes
Take time to review and reflect on each of these activities in order to improve your performance on the assessment for this section.
Licenses and Attributions