By Sarah Stone Watt, Ph.D., Pepperdine University Malibu, CA
& Joshua Trey Barnett, Indiana University Bloomington, IN
After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain what a persuasive speech is.
- Describe the functions of persuasive speeches.
- List the different types of persuasive speeches.
- Identify persuasive strategies that make a speech more effective.
- Apply the appropriate organizational pattern based on your persuasive goals.
- Distinguish between ethical and unethical forms of persuasion.
- Apply module concepts in final questions and activities.
- What is Persuasive Speaking?
- Functions of Persuasive Speeches
- Speeches to Convince
- Speeches to Actuate
- Types of Persuasive Speeches
- Propositions of Fact
- Propositions of Value
- Propositions of Policy
- Choosing a Persuasive Speech Topic
- Approaching Audiences
- Receptive Audiences
- Neutral Audiences
- Hostile Audiences
- Persuasive Strategies
- Organizing Persuasive Messages
- Monroe's Motivated Sequence
- Direct Method Pattern
- Causal Pattern
- Refutation Pattern
- Module Activities
Licenses and Attributions