After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand the nature of communicative apprehension (CA), and be in a better position to deal with your particular “brand” of CA.
- Analyze objectively the formation of your habitual frame of reference.
- Apply cognitive restructuring (CR) techniques to create a more positive frame of reference.
- Understand the importance of customized practice to become conversant in your topic.
- Create a personal preparation routine to minimize your apprehension.
- Classifying Communication Apprehension (CA)
- Scrutiny Fear
- Frames of Reference
- Habitual Frame of Reference
- Personal Frame of Reference
- Cognitive Restructuring (CR)
- Sources of Apprehension
- Impact of Apprehension
- Learning Confidence
- Techniques for Building Confidence
- Prepare Well
- Visualize Success
- Avoid Gimmicks
- Breathe and Release
- Minimize What You Memorize
- Practice Out Loud
- Customize Your Practice
- Chapter Activities and Exercises
Licenses and Attributions