Slopes, Inc., manufactures and sells snowboards. Slopes manufactures a single model, the Pipex. In the summer of 2009, Slopes's management accountant gathered the following data to prepare budgets for 2010:
5 board feet (b.f.) per snowboard 6 yards per snowboard
5 hours per snowboard
Materials and labor requirements
Direct manufacturing labor
Slopes's CEO expects to sell 1,000 snowboards during 2010 at an estimated retail price of $450 per board. Further, he expects 2010 beginning inventory of 100 boards and would like to end 2010 with 200 snowboards in stock.
Direct materials inventories
Beginning Inventory 1/1/2010 Ending Inventory 12/31/2010
Wood 2,000 1,500
Fiberglass 1,000 2,000
Variable manufacturing overhead is $7 per direct manufacturing labor-hour. There are also $66,000 in fixed manufacturing overhead costs budgeted for 2010. Slopes combines both variable and fixed manufacturing overhead into a single rate based on direct manufacturing labor-hours. Variable marketing costs are allocated at the rate of $250 per sales visit. The marketing plan calls for 30 sales visits during 2010. Finally, there are $30,000 in fixed nonmanufacturing costs budgeted for 2010.
Other data includes:
2006 Unit Price 2007 Unit Price
Wood $28.00 per b.ft. $30.00 per b.ft.
Fiberglass $ 4.80 per yard $ 5.00 per yard
Direct manufacturing labor $24.00 per hour $25.00 per hour
The inventoriable unit cost for ending finished goods inventory on December 31,2009, is $374.80. Assume Slopes uses a FIFO inventory method for both direct materials and finished goods. Ignore work in process in your calculations.
Budgeted balances at December 31, 2010, in the selected accounts are:
Cash $ 10,000
Property, plant, and equipment (net) 850,000
Current liabilities 17,000
Long-term liabilities 178,000
Stockholders' equity 800,000
1. Prepare the 2010 revenues budget (in dollars).
2. Prepare the 2010 production budget (in units).
3. Prepare the direct material usage and purchases budgets for 2010
4. Prepare a direct manufacturing labor budget for 2010
5. Prepare a manufacturing overhead budget for 2010
6. What is the budgeted manufacturing overhead rate for 2010?
7. What is the budgeted manufacturing overhead cost per output unit for 2010?
8. Calculate the cost of a snowboard manufactured in 2010.
9. Prepare an ending inventory budget for both direct materials and finished goods for 2010.
10. Prepare a cost of goods sold budget for 2010.
11. Prepare the budgeted income statement for Slopes, Inc., for the year ending December 31, 2010.
12. Prepare the budgeted balance sheet for Slopes, Inc., as of December 31, 2010.
Recently Asked Questions
- What is the economic value added, EVA, based on the following information? EBIT = $700; Total assets = $3,000; Corporate tax rate: 40% WACCcomp:15%, Select
- Based on the following information, what is the ROE? Total assets: 100 Debt: 40 Sales: 80 Net income: 10 Select one: a. 19.3% b. 17.7% c. 16.7% d. 18.5%
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from UofC_GL19_Lab.