“Wonderful!” Not only did our salespeople do a good job in meeting the sales budget this year, but our production people did a good job in controlling costs as well,” said Kim Clark, president of Martell Company. “Our $18,300 overall manufacturing cost variance is only 1.2% of the $1,536,000 standard cost of products made during the year. That’s well within the 3% parameter set by management for acceptable variances. It looks like everyone will be in line for a bonus this year.”
The company produces and sells a single product. The standard cost per product is as follows:
Direct materials, 2 feet at $8.45 per foot $16.90
Direct labor, 1.4 direct labor hours at $16 per DLH 22.40
Variable OH, 1.4 direct labor hours at $2.50 per DLH 3.50
Fixed OH, 1.4 direct labor hours at $6 per DLH 8.40
Standard cost per unit $51.20
The following additional information is available for the year just completed:
• The company manufactured 30,000 units of product during the year
• A total of 64,000 feet of material was purchased during the year at cost of $8.55 per foot. All of this material was used to manufacture the 30,000 units. There were no beginning or ending inventories for the year.
• The company worked 43,500 direct labor hours during the year at a direct labor cost of $15.80 per hour.
• Overhead is applied to costs on the basis of standard direct-labor hours. Data relating to manufacturing overhead costs follow:
Budgeted Denominator activity level (DLH) 35,000
Budgeted fixed OH (from the flexible budget) $210,000
Actual variable overhead costs incurred $108,000
Actual fixed overhead costs incurred $211,800
Required (Support your work):
1. Compute the direct materials price and efficiency variances for the year
2. Compute the direct labor price and efficiency variances for the year
3. Compute the variable overhead spending and efficiency variances for the year
4. Compute the fixed overhead spending and production-volume variances for the year.
5. Total the variances you have computed, and compare the net amount with the $18,300 mentioned by Ms. Clark. Do you agree that bonuses should be given to everyone for good cost control during the year? Explain.
Recently Asked Questions
- NYPD recently changed their policy on a specific type of evidence used to prosecute sex workers, what was this policy change? How might it benefit the health
- BUSI 294 Assignment - Job Order Costing Northwest Company uses a job-order costing system and applies manufacturing overhead cost to jobs on the basis of the
- please help me with this algebra problem that i don't understand thank you