The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) evaluates divisional performance, using income from operations as
a percent of revenues. The following quarterly income and expense accounts were provided from the trial balance as of December 31, 2006.
Revenues-Central Division $620,000
Revenues-Coastal Division $856,000
Revenues-Metro Division $1,180,000
Operating Expenses-Central Division $370,000
Operating Expenses-Coastal Division $495,700
Operating Expenses-Metro Division $675,200
Corporate Expenses-Shareholder Relations $65,000
Corporate Expenses-Customer Support $192,000
Corporate Expenses-Central Accounting $102,000
<b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">General Corporate Officers' Salaries</b> $190,000
The company operates three service departments: Shareholder Relations, Customer Support, and Central Accounting.
The Shareholder Relations Department conducts a variety of services for shareholders of the company.
The Customer Support Department is the company's telephone point of contact for new service, complaints and requests for repair.
The department believes that the number of customer calls is an active base for this work. The Central Accounting Department provides reports
for division management. The department believes that the number of reports is an active base for this work. The following additional information
has been gathered:
Central Coastal Metro
Number of customer calls 4,000 4,600 7,400
Number of accounting reports 800 1,400 1,200
1. Prepare quarterly income statements showing income from operations for the three divisions.
Use three column headings: Central, Coastal, and Metro.
2. Identify the most successful division according to the profit margin. Round whole percentages to two decimal places.
3. Provide a recommendation to the CEO for a better method for evaluating the performance of the divisions.
In your recommendation, identify the major weakness of the present method.
Recently Asked Questions
- using the following LP formulation below, which of the following statements is CORRECT MAX P=5X+5Y 1X <= 100 A 1Y <= 80 B
- A psychologist wants to estimate the standard deviation of IQ scores. It is widely believed that IQ scores follow a normal distribution. Her random sample
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from Problem Set 4.pdf.