The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) evaluates divisional performance, using income from operations as
a percent of revenues. The following quarterly income and expense accounts were provided from the trial balance as of December 31, 2006.
Revenues-Central Division $620,000
Revenues-Coastal Division $856,000
Revenues-Metro Division $1,180,000
Operating Expenses-Central Division $370,000
Operating Expenses-Coastal Division $495,700
Operating Expenses-Metro Division $675,200
Corporate Expenses-Shareholder Relations $65,000
Corporate Expenses-Customer Support $192,000
Corporate Expenses-Central Accounting $102,000
<b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">General Corporate Officers' Salaries</b> $190,000
The company operates three service departments: Shareholder Relations, Customer Support, and Central Accounting.
The Shareholder Relations Department conducts a variety of services for shareholders of the company.
The Customer Support Department is the company's telephone point of contact for new service, complaints and requests for repair.
The department believes that the number of customer calls is an active base for this work. The Central Accounting Department provides reports
for division management. The department believes that the number of reports is an active base for this work. The following additional information
has been gathered:
Central Coastal Metro
Number of customer calls 4,000 4,600 7,400
Number of accounting reports 800 1,400 1,200
1. Prepare quarterly income statements showing income from operations for the three divisions.
Use three column headings: Central, Coastal, and Metro.
2. Identify the most successful division according to the profit margin. Round whole percentages to two decimal places.
3. Provide a recommendation to the CEO for a better method for evaluating the performance of the divisions.
In your recommendation, identify the major weakness of the present method.
Recently Asked Questions
- what should I choose? Plz help me with it!!! I have looked through the book, but I cannot make sure the correct answers.
- Suppose that the time required to fill out 1040R tax form is normally distributed with a mean of 100 minutes and a standard deviation of 15 minutes.
- Explain the difference between an outcome and an event in a probability experiment .Also; define Sample space of a probability experiment. In your explanation,