Cheryl Thomas has recently joined Brooks as assistant controller, and her first assignment is to prepare the 2010 year-end adjusting entries for the accounts that are valued by the “fair value” rule for financial reporting purposes. Thomas has gathered the following information about Brook’s pertinent account.
1. Brooks has trading securities related to Delaney Motors and Patrick Electric. During this fiscal year, Brooks purchased 100,000 shares of Delaney Motors for $1,400,000; these shares currently have a market value of $1,600,000. Brooks’ investment in Patrick Electric has not been profitable; the company acquired 50,000 shares of Patrick in April 2010 at $20 per share, a purchase that currently has a value of $720,000.
2. Prior to 2010, Brooks invested $22,500,000 in Norton Industries and has not changed its holdings this year. This investment in Norton Industries was valued at $21,500,000 on December 31, 2009. Brooks’ 12% ownership of Norton Industries has a current market value of $22,225,000.
(a)Prepare the appropriate adjusting entries for Brooks as of December 31, 2010, to reflect the application of the “fair value” rule for both classes of securities described above.
(b)For both classes of securities presented above, describe how the results of the valuation adjustments made in (a) would be reflected in the body of and notes to Brooks’ 2010 financial statements.
(c) Prepare the entries for the Norton investment, assuming that Brooks owns 25% of Norton shares. Norton reported income of $500,000 in 2010 and paid cash dividends of $100,000.
We need you to clarify your question for our tutors! Clarification request: Dear Student, I tried looking into your... View the full answer
Recently Asked Questions
- Hi, this is my course project and I partially done it with my draft 1 but my prof has revised it and gave it back to me. All i need is to revised it well and
- I'm in a hurry. Can anyone provide me step by step solution to solve these numerical problems attached below. These are for AME 526 : Engineering Analytical
- What are the answers for question 2, 3, 4, and 5? I am having a tough time figuring them out.