Cheryl Thomas has recently joined Brooks as assistant controller, and her first assignment is to prepare the 2010 year-end adjusting entries for the accounts that are valued by the “fair value” rule for financial reporting purposes. Thomas has gathered the following information about Brook’s pertinent account.
1. Brooks has trading securities related to Delaney Motors and Patrick Electric. During this fiscal year, Brooks purchased 100,000 shares of Delaney Motors for $1,400,000; these shares currently have a market value of $1,600,000. Brooks’ investment in Patrick Electric has not been profitable; the company acquired 50,000 shares of Patrick in April 2010 at $20 per share, a purchase that currently has a value of $720,000.
2. Prior to 2010, Brooks invested $22,500,000 in Norton Industries and has not changed its holdings this year. This investment in Norton Industries was valued at $21,500,000 on December 31, 2009. Brooks’ 12% ownership of Norton Industries has a current market value of $22,225,000.
(a)Prepare the appropriate adjusting entries for Brooks as of December 31, 2010, to reflect the application of the “fair value” rule for both classes of securities described above.
(b)For both classes of securities presented above, describe how the results of the valuation adjustments made in (a) would be reflected in the body of and notes to Brooks’ 2010 financial statements.
(c) Prepare the entries for the Norton investment, assuming that Brooks owns 25% of Norton shares. Norton reported income of $500,000 in 2010 and paid cash dividends of $100,000.
We need you to clarify your question for our tutors! Clarification request: Dear Student, I tried looking into your... View the full answer
Recently Asked Questions
- Use the data in the following tables for an economy that produces only two things, bread and computers. Assume that all production is consumed in each year:
- Net income was $66,300; accounts receivable decreased by $16,500; inventory increased by $7,500; proceeds from the issuance of long-term debt were $21,600;
- i need full answer of this homework. due this Thursday at 7am.