Cheryl Thomas has recently joined Brooks as assistant controller, and her first assignment is to prepare the 2010 year-end adjusting entries for the accounts that are valued by the “fair value” rule for financial reporting purposes. Thomas has gathered the following information about Brook’s pertinent account.
1. Brooks has trading securities related to Delaney Motors and Patrick Electric. During this fiscal year, Brooks purchased 100,000 shares of Delaney Motors for $1,400,000; these shares currently have a market value of $1,600,000. Brooks’ investment in Patrick Electric has not been profitable; the company acquired 50,000 shares of Patrick in April 2010 at $20 per share, a purchase that currently has a value of $720,000.
2. Prior to 2010, Brooks invested $22,500,000 in Norton Industries and has not changed its holdings this year. This investment in Norton Industries was valued at $21,500,000 on December 31, 2009. Brooks’ 12% ownership of Norton Industries has a current market value of $22,225,000.
(a)Prepare the appropriate adjusting entries for Brooks as of December 31, 2010, to reflect the application of the “fair value” rule for both classes of securities described above.
(b)For both classes of securities presented above, describe how the results of the valuation adjustments made in (a) would be reflected in the body of and notes to Brooks’ 2010 financial statements.
(c) Prepare the entries for the Norton investment, assuming that Brooks owns 25% of Norton shares. Norton reported income of $500,000 in 2010 and paid cash dividends of $100,000.
Recently Asked Questions
- Question 1 The four major export financing programs provided by Ex-Im Bank include which of the following? a. Working capital loan guarantees for U.S.
- Hutchins Company had 200,000 shares of common stock, 50,000 shares of convertible preferred stock, and $2,000,000 of 10% convertible bonds outstanding during
- Question 5 Which of the following countries has the highest rate of antidumping cases in the United States? a. France b. China c. Japan d. Germany 0.5 points