The purpose of this assignment is to get a picture of the various roles managers play and the skills required to perform effectively in an accounting role.
You should choose to interview someone who has been in the accounting field for at least 2 years, employed full time. Please use the questions below, but feel free to add your own. Ask frequently for examples which illustrate the interviewee’s experience. When an interviewee tells you an interesting story, make sure to ask further questions so you understand how this experience is related to their work and their skills.
Take notes during the interview and then summarize what you learned. Do not provide a verbatim account of the interview! Rather describe what you learned about he accounting field, the skills needed to be successful, what challenges they face, etc. Start the interview by having the individual describe their organization, their specific role and their background briefly. Then use these questions to follow up:
1. Describe a typical day at work.
2. What are the critical skills needed to be successful in your line of work?
3. Name one recent change you had to deal with at work and describe how you managed that change.
4. What do you like best about your work in the field of accounting? Like the least?
5. What would you like to learn more about that would help you to continue to improve in your job?
6. What one piece of "advice" would you give to someone considering a career in accounting?
Summarize what you learned by conducting this interview. Start your posting by briefly describing your interviewee's role and the organization they work for as well as their background (education/formal training, previous jobs, etc.). Then, list each question and provide your interviewee's answer.: