Variable overhead (5 hours at $8/hour) $ 40
Fixed overhead (5 hours at $12 * /hour) 60
Total standard overhead cost per unit produced $100
*Based on a practical capacity of 300,000 direct labor hours per month.
The following information is for the month of October:
• The company produced 56,000 switches, although 60,000 switches were scheduled to be produced.
• The company worked 275,000 direct labor hours at a total cost of $2,550,000.
• Variable overhead costs were $2,340,000.
• Fixed overhead costs were $3,750,000.
The production manager argued during the last performance review that the company should use a more up-to-date base for charging factory overhead costs to production. She commented that her factory had been highly automated in the last two years and as a result now has hardly any direct
labor. The factory hires only highly skilled workers to set up production runs and to do periodic adjustments of machinery whenever the need arises.
Required (In Excel)
1. Compute the following for Able Control Company:
a. The fixed overhead spending variance for October.
b. The production-volume variance for October.
c. The variable overhead spending variance for October.
d. The variable overhead efficiency variance for October.
2. Comment on the implications of the variances and suggest any action that the company should take to improve its operation.
Hi Student, please find the attached... View the full answer