Martinez Company has decided to introduce a new product. The new product can be manufactured by either a capital-intensive method or a labor-intensive method. The manufacturing method will not affect the quality of the product. The estimated manufacturing costs by the two methods are as follows.
Direct materials $5 per unit $5.50 per unit
Direct labor $6 per unit $8.00 per unit
Variable overhead $3 per unit $4.50 per unit
Fixed manufacturing costs $2,508,000 $1,538,000
Martinez's market research department has recommended an introductory unit sales price of $30. The incremental selling expenses are estimated to be $502,000 annually plus $2 for each unit sold, regardless of manufacturing method.
With the class divided into groups, answer the following.
(a) Calculate the estimated break-even point in annual unit sales of the new product if Martinez Company uses the:
1. Capital-intensive manufacturing method.
2. Labor-intensive manufacturing method.
(b) Determine the annual unit sales volume at which Martinez Company would be indifferent between the two manufacturing methods.
(c) Explain the circumstance under which Martinez should employ each of the two manufacturing methods.
Additional: Please show graph in excel with calculations
Recently Asked Questions
- Among the four political parties listed below, which one was the last to be formed ? (a) The Indian National Congress (b) The Republican Party in the U.S.A (c)
- "Revolving door" laws prohibit public officials from lobbying activities for one year after they leave office. Do you think one year is a sufficient period of
- Misunderstanding refers to those types of disputes which occur when clauses of the labour contract are understood differently by the management (employers) on