Martinez Company has decided to introduce a new product. The new product can be manufactured by either a capital-intensive method or a labor-intensive method. The manufacturing method will not affect the quality of the product. The estimated manufacturing costs by the two methods are as follows.
Direct materials $5 per unit $5.50 per unit
Direct labor $6 per unit $8.00 per unit
Variable overhead $3 per unit $4.50 per unit
Fixed manufacturing costs $2,508,000 $1,538,000
Martinez's market research department has recommended an introductory unit sales price of $30. The incremental selling expenses are estimated to be $502,000 annually plus $2 for each unit sold, regardless of manufacturing method.
With the class divided into groups, answer the following.
(a) Calculate the estimated break-even point in annual unit sales of the new product if Martinez Company uses the:
1. Capital-intensive manufacturing method.
2. Labor-intensive manufacturing method.
(b) Determine the annual unit sales volume at which Martinez Company would be indifferent between the two manufacturing methods.
(c) Explain the circumstance under which Martinez should employ each of the two manufacturing methods.
Additional: Please show graph in excel with calculations
Recently Asked Questions
- Final Paper You will choose a generic organization (manufacturing plant, hospital, etc.). My choice was a customer service call center. Assume that you are a
- QoS Design and Implementation Objectives As a network engineer working for a Service Provider, design and implement QoS on a converged network. For this
- Discuss a recentdecision that you made (purchase an automobile or home, change jobs, etc.). Howdid motivation and emotions influence your decision? Did you