A certain element has a half-life of 2.5 billion years. You find a rock containing a mixture of the element and lead.
View the step-by-step solution to:

Question

A certain element has a half-life of 2.5 billion years.


a. You find a rock containing a mixture

of the element and lead. You determine that 35 % of the original element remains; the other 65 % decayed into lead. How old is the rock?

a. The rock is approximately billion years old.


b. Analysis of another rock shows that it contains 5% of its original element; the other 95% decayed into lead. How old is the rock? (Round to one decimal place as needed.)

b. The rock is approximately billion years old.


Please show work or how you got the answers .... I am totally lost !!!! Also need answer by tomorrow Sunday 8-25-2019.


Thanks

Jennifer

Top Answer

Sign up to view the full answer

Why Join Course Hero?

Course Hero has all the homework and study help you need to succeed! We’ve got course-specific notes, study guides, and practice tests along with expert tutors.

  • -

    Study Documents

    Find the best study resources around, tagged to your specific courses. Share your own to gain free Course Hero access.

    Browse Documents
  • -

    Question & Answers

    Get one-on-one homework help from our expert tutors—available online 24/7. Ask your own questions or browse existing Q&A threads. Satisfaction guaranteed!

    Ask a Question