1. What are the functions of the three subdivisions of the pharynx?
2. How does the larynx function in
respiration and voice production?
3. Where are the lungs located? Distinguish the parietal pleura from the visceral pleura.
4. Describe how alveolar surface tension, compliance, and airway resistance affect breathing.
5. Define alveolar ventilation rate and FEV1
6. What is the relationship between hemoglobin and PO2?
7. How do temperature, H+, PCO2, and BPG influence the affinity of Hb for O2?
8. Why can hemoglobin unload more oxygen as blood flows through capillaries of metabolically active tissues, such as skeletal muscle during exercise, than is unloaded at rest?
9. How does the medullary respiratory center regulate breathing?
10. What are the diffusion paths of oxygen and carbon dioxide during external and internal respiration?