What part did new technologies play in enabling European colonialism? Start with the Portuguese in the 15thcentury, and continue through the colonization of Africa in the late 19th/early 20thcenturies.
2. How did "cash cropping" influence the creation of infrastructure in Eueope's African colonies? What crops were grown in Africa as "cash crops"?
3. What was the "Kalahari debate" all about? Summarize the opposing positions. And why, given that there were very few Kalahari hunter-gatherers, did the debate feature so largely in the anthropological literature from the 1970's to the 1990's?
4. Discuss the Azande concept of witchcraft as presented by Evans-Pritchard, and as seen in the movie "Strange Beliefs". Briefly summarize Peter Winch's criticism of E-P.
5. Compare the economic roles and social status of women among the San and Efe (hunter-gatherers) and the Igbo (agriculturalists).
6. Discuss the changing relationship of cattle to money in Nuer society from the 1920's (Evans Pritchard) to the 1980's (Hutchinson).
7. For most of the 20thcentury African and African-American intellectuals were much concerned with the question of Pan-African identity. Discuss this with reference to the readings written by Senghor, Diop, Fanon and Appiah.
Hi, I think it will be far more useful for me to show you how to answer questions in the humanities than to do your homework... View the full answer