Introduction This is a brief extra credit assignment focused on the...
This is a brief extra credit assignment focused on the article "Body Ritual Among the Nacirema". The article is one of the most commonly assigned pieces of anthropological literature in introduction classes. It focuses of the etic vs emic approaches and ethnocentrism in anthropology. Students will need to read article (linked below) and answer six questions in essay format. The questions are listed below the article.
- According to Miner, what functional beliefs underlie Nacirema body rituals? (What are the purposes for them?)
- Miner treats Nacirema behavior in caring for the body as "ritual." What made the "medicine men" or "Holy mouth-men" make them appear as ritual specialists versus doctors.
- Some would say that Mine's analysis exoticizes the Nacirema and makes them seem mysterious and irrational. Would you agree? If so, why?
- Who are the Nacirema (try spelling it backwards)? Did you discover the joke, if so, when?
- What point do you think Miner is trying to make in this article?
- What aspects of Santa Cruz culture would an outsider find the most peculiar and why?
Body Ritual Among the Nacirema
Unlock full access to Course Hero
Explore over 16 million step-by-step answers from our libraryGet answer
Our verified expert tutors typically answer within 15-30 minutes.