You are the corporate safety manager for X-Mart. X-mart has 275 stores in 10 different states. X-Mart
specializes in general merchandise sales very similar to other stores such as Wal-Mart. The corporate expansion and acquisition office has contacted you for assistance. The 10 states X-Mart currently has stores in follow the International Fire Code. X-Mart would like to expand into four other states that currently adopt the National Fire Codes (NFPA). X-Mart's corporate architects have also asked for assistance since they originally were selected based upon specializing in the International Fire Code. Upper management understands that your master's level education included Fire Safety Management. The acquisition office has proposed to build 100 additional stores. They need some initial estimates on fire protection equipment to complete a budget proposal. Each store will be one-story, 75,000 square feet in total building area. Using NFPA 1 and 101, and by referencing the specific code sections, answer the following questions: ***Remember to identify the specific code section i.e. (NFPA 101- 184.108.40.206)
1. What is the occupancy classification for the proposed new X-marts?
2. Would a fire sprinkler system be required?
3. Would a fire alarm system be required?
4. Are portable fire extinguishers required?
5. What will be the occupant load be for the new store?
6. Are emergency lights required?