The vitamin company you work for produces alanine. Two streams A and B enter a reactor system where the reaction occurs and one stream C containing the products exit the reactor system. The reactor operates at steady-state. Stream A enters at a rate of 100 kg/min and contains 90 wt% glutamine, 5 wt% alanine, and 5 wt% inert material. Stream B enters at a rate of 50 kg/min and contains 95 wt% pyruvic acid, 3 wt% alanine, and 2 wt% inert material. The ratio of the mass flow rate of alanine in the outlet stream to that supplied to the reactor (in streams A+B) is 8. The reaction stoichiometry is:
C5H10N2O3 (glutamine) + C3H4O3 (pyruvic acid) -> C5H7NO4 (alpha-ketoglutamic acid) + C3H7NO2 (alanine) Other relevant information:
- a) What is the rate of production of alanine? What are the fractional conversions of glutamine and pyruvic acid?
- b) Find the outlet mass flow rates and mass fractions of alanine, alpha-ketoglutamic acid, and any leftover
- reactants (including inert material).
Recently Asked Questions
- Choose the correct answer.............................
- Suppose that you are the manager of Rockford Enterprises in a competitive market. You are asked to estimate the average variable cost (AVC) function for the
- Suppose you take out a 20-year mortgage for a house that costs $397744. Assume the following: The annual interest rate on the mortgage is 5%. The bank