1. Identify three functions of the kidney and describe them.
2. Describe the sequence of structures through which a drop of urine passes from the time it flows from the nephron until it reaches the urinary bladder.
3. The nephron is a highly specialized structure with many different parts. List, in order, the parts of the nephron that fluid moves through, starting with the glomerulus.
4. a) Why can the glomerulus filter such a high volume of fluid? Why can't capillaries filter a similarly high volume?
b) What is the glomerular filtration rate?
5. Describe the function of transitional epithelium and name the urinary system organs lined with this tissue.
6. Define specific gravity as it relates to urine and state the clinical significance of a urinalysis indicating cloudy urine, low or high pH, low or high specific gravity, glucosuria, hematuria, albuminuria, or ketonuria.
The kidney can: filter- in the glomerulus of the kidney, filtration takes place. Good and bad things are filtered out as long... View the full answer