1. Select the true statement
A. Phylogenies are testable hypotheses
B. Phylogenies are conceptual models
C. Both A & B
D. Neither A nor B
2. Look at the phylogeny shown at the right. Which statement is TRUE? (MRCA=most recent common ancestor).
A. The MRCA of taxon C and taxon F is 6.
B. The MRCA of taxon G and taxon B is 2.
C. The MRCA of taxon B and taxon D is 3.
D. The MRCA of taxon D and taxon F is 5.
E. None of the above statements are true.
3. How many different phylogenies are shown here? 1, 2, 3 or 4
A. 1 (all the same)
D. 4 (all different)
4. How many different hypotheses are shown below for these pine trees?
5. How do biologists try to find the best hypothesis? (select all correct answers)
A. Eliminate the ingroup and determine if the phylogeny remains the same.
B. Find new characters and states (molecular, morphological, etc.) and see if the phylogeny remains supported.
C. Examine the order of appearance in the fossil record and see if it matches the order of appearance in the phylogeny.
D. Determine if a more parsimonious hypothesis (using treelength and Consistency Index) could be found using the available data.
6. The phylogeny shown below is supported by the fossil record.
Both A&B- because phylogeny are conceptual models and testable hypotheses.(as they integrate observations and the... View the full answer