DIRECTIONS: Write "True" or "False" or place the letter to the correct answer in the space provided
1. _________Pathogens must invade the body's cells to cause symptoms.
2. _________ Killer T cells destroy body cells in order to kill a pathogen inside.
3. _________ If an individual has active organisms replicating in his or her body, the individual may be contagious before experiencing any symptoms.
4. _________A severe worldwide outbreak of a disease is called an epidemic.
5. _________ Rocky Mountain spotted fever and typhus are caused by the rickettsia bacterium.
6. _________People who fail to finish a prescription of antibiotics contribute to the development of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria.
7. _________Mutation of bacterial strains is a factor in the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
8. _________ The most effective way of preventing the flu in the winter is by protecting your body from cold temperatures.
9. _________ Malaria can cause anemia.
10. ________ West Nile virus and hantavirus infections primarily involve transmission by vectors rather than person-to-person spread.
11. _______An infection spread throughout the body by blood or the lymphatic system is called
A. transmitted. B. lymphatic. C. localized. D. systemic.
12. ________ Immunization is based on the
A. body's ability to remember an encounter with a specific organism. B. body's ability to tell a harmful pathogen from a harmless one.
C. introduction of a pathogen into the body to stimulate antigens.
D. introduction of helper T cells into the body.
Chapter 17 Survey (Page 1)
13. ________ A person who is exposed to a disease and is subsequently injected with antibodies produced by others has been given
A. active immunity.
B. passive immunity.
C. innate immunity. D. natural immunity.
14. ________Johnny has a red, sore throat with white patches on the tonsils, swollen lymph nodes, fever, and a headache. Which of the following bacteria caused Johnny's symptoms?
A. staphylococcus B. streptococcus C. mycobacterium D. Escherichia coli
15. ________ Autoimmune diseases occur when
A. bacteria severely damage the immune system.
B. cancer creates an imbalance in the immune system.
C. the body erroneously recognizes its own cells as foreign. D. a virus such as HIV destroys the immune system.
Recently Asked Questions
- The town of Wiknam has 5 residents whose only activity is producing and consuming fish. They produce fish in two ways. Each person who works on a fish farm
- work systems Groover ........................................................................................................
- How do you create a basic accounting equation table that includes these following: A) received $150,000 from investors buying shares in the company B) bought