1. What do the letters mean in BUBBLEHEEE-RRR and what is normal? Describe and discuss normal and abnormal findings when performing your postpartum assessment.
2. Why is it important that a student follow an acronym when performing an assessment?
3. What do you look for when assessing a perineum?
4. What is the correct position for assessing the perineum in a postpartum patient?
5. What are some variations in vital signs after delivery?
6. What is the reason for a Sitz bath, and the nursing responsibility when a patient receives one?
7. When, why, and how are ice packs used in the postpartum period?
8. What are expected normal lab values in this period for a CBC, Rh factor, and Rubella titer?
9. What teaching is needed for breastfeeding and appropriate breast care for moms who have chosen to breastfeed?
10. What teaching is needed for bottle-feeding moms and their breast care? What is the main difference in your teaching with these two different moms?
11. What discharge teaching is needed for mom? (hint: there is a lot...provide at least five for mom and five for newborn.)
12. What is the difference between postpartum blues and postpartum depression? Why is this appropriately referred to as postpartum mood disorder, and why does the mother need to be educated about this? Who else needs this education?
13. What is the purpose of the creams, sprays, and ointments that are prescribed for mothers?
14. What is perineal care, and how is patient teaching done?
15. Describe six benefits of breastfeeding.
Top of Form