A 26-year-old female complained of severe, dull, aching pain, and cramping in the lower abdomen. There were no other physical findings. A laparoscopy revealed the presence of ectopic endometrial tissue on the uterine wall and ovaries. Danazol (a synthetic androgen and inhibitor of gonadotropins), 600 mg/day, was prescribed for up to nine months to inhibit ovulation, suppress the growth of the abnormal endometrial tissue, and achieve appreciable symptomatic relief, with a 30% possibility of conception after withdrawal of the therapy.
1a. What is this condition called?
1b. What causes it?
2. What is ectopic endometrial tissue?
3. What is the rationale for using danazol, a gonadotropin inhibitor?
ANSWER SHOULD BE IN DETAIL
Recently Asked Questions
- Suppose that the flying hours for aircraft operated by regional airlines in the U . S . during 2006 are normally distributed with mean 2500 and standard
- Private colleges and universities rely on money contributed by individuals and corporations for their operating expenses . Much of this money is invested in a
- Minimize Z = 64x1 + 42x2 labor cost , $ subject to 16x1 + 12x2 ≥ 450 claims x1 + x2 ≤ 40 workstations 0.5x1 + 1.4x2 ≤ 25 defective claims x1 , x2 ≥ 0