1. (a) Why was Buffon puzzled by pig's toes? (b) How did Buffon explain them?
2. What explanation did Lamarck propose for how species had changed over time?
3. What role did Lamarck believe the environment played in evolution?
4. Use Lamarck's theory to explain the evolution of running speed in cheetahs.
5. Based on Lamarck's theory of evolution, what could you do to ensure your children were born with enhanced musical ability?
6. Illustrate the process of fossil formation using labelled sketches.
7. What do the following characteristics of fossils reveal about the history of life on Earth?
(a) Some fossils of marine organisms are discovered at high elevations in mountains.
(b) Most fossils are of species that are no longer living.
(c) Most living organisms are not found in the fossil record.
(d) Most fossils are of marine organisms.
(e) The oldest fossil deposits contain only simple organisms. More recent deposits contain both simple and complex fossils
9. How did the theory of uniformitarianism account for patterns seen in geology?
10. How might it be possible for fossils to provide evidence about the behaviour of an organism?
230,453 students got unstuck by Course
Hero in the last week
Our Expert Tutors provide step by step solutions to help you excel in your courses