A. muscles breakdown proteins because glucose is in short supply and this process hurts
B. muscles make lactic acid because O2 is in short supply, lactic acid causes soreness ???
C. muscles make the ETC go faster and this makes the muscle cells sore
D. muscles use phosphocreatine to replace ATP and this process hurts
E.muscles breakdown lipids because glucose is in short supply and this process hurts
2) A desert mouse can get by without ever drinking water. Some of the water necessary for life comes from what the mouse eats. The rest of the required water comes from aerobic respiration (metabolic water). Where does this water form?
A. electron transport chain (ETC)
C. Krebs cycle
D. reduction of NAD
E. oxidation of NADH
3) The ultimate goal of the electron transport chain is to
A. Use electrons to make metabolic water
B. use electrons to make ATP????
C. remove electrons from the mitochondria
D.move electrons from the mitochondria into the cytoplasm
E.none of the above
4) When we breathe we inhale oxygen (O2). What happens to this O2 once it is inside the cells of the body?
A.it is used to transfer electrons from high to low energy levels
B.it is used to adjust the pH inside the cell cytoplasm
C.it is the final electron acceptor at the end of the ETC
D.it is used as a buffer in the mitochondrion of the cell
E.it is exhaled right back out again, it is not needed in the body at all
5)Imagine that you are a prokaryotic cell in an environment that contains no oxygen but that does contain food. In such a situation, which form of metabolism would you be UNABLE to perform?
A.extract energy from the food
D.electron transport chain
E.neither 3 nor 4
6)Which of the following may be a product of an anaerobic electron transport chain?
D.1 and 2
E.1 and 3
7) Overall, the breakdown of glucose is a(n) _________ reaction.
E.2 and 3
8) The addition of a phosphate to ADP can best be described as
A.an exergonic reaction
B.a catabolic reaction
C.an endergonic reaction
D.1 and 2
E.2 and 3
Recently Asked Questions
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from ACFI 2012 Assignment T3 2018.docx. Additional comments: "I am having
- how Would you find the orbital speed for the revolution of the earth about the sun assuming the earth to be a perfect circle with a radius of 1.5 x 10^11?
- which influence do you think is the hardest to overcome when implementing organizational change? Explain your rationale.