13. The _______ nerve carries electrical signals from the brain to the stomach. 14. The hormone ______ regulates gastric secretion during the gastric phase of digestion. 15. Gastric motility ________ as the stomach begins to receive food. 16. The hormone ______ released by the duodenum cause gastric motility to decrease when fats are present in the duodenum. 17. The hormone _______ causes the gall bladder to contract and release bile into the small intestine. 18. The ________ reflex describes the communication between the intestine and the stomach. 19. Sympathetic nervous system stimulation ________ digestive system activity. 20. The motility process illustrated below is _________. 21. Segmentation moves chyme in only one direction. a. True b. False 22. The frequency of segmentation contractions is greatest in the _____. 23. _____ reflexes stimulate the ileum to increase activity when food is in the stomach. 24. The hormone _________ causes the ileocecal sphincter to relax during the gastric phase. 25. During the inter-digestive period, _______ _______ _______ occur about once every 90 minutes to move undigested materials toward the terminal ileum. 26. Migrating motility complexes are controlled by the central nervous system a. True b. False
27. List the two major functions of the large intestine. a. _______________________ b. _______________________ 28. Pockets formed by the contractions of the transverse and descending colon musculature are called ___________. 29. Sustained, intense propulsive peristaltic contractions of the large intestine are called __________ ___________. 30. Which of the following is under voluntary control? a. Internal anal sphincter b. External anal sphincter 31. Only about _______ ml of the 500 ml of chyme that entered the colon is voided as feces. 32. Place the following labels on the large intestine figure below: Cecum, ascending colon, transverse colon, descending colon, sigmoid colon, rectum, haustra, appendix 33. The ________ reflex stimulates mass movements of the colon.
34. List three emotions that may produce constipation a. ______ b. ______ c. ______. 35. The vomiting reflex is coordinated in the _________. 36. Which of the following is not typically a stimulus for the vomiting reflex? a. Noxious chemicals b. Abnormal vestibular stimulation c. Sudden injury to the testes d. Sleep
Recently Asked Questions
- In a capillary bed if the hydrostatic pressure at the arteriole ends is 32 mm Hg and at the venule ends is 14 mm Hg with an osmotic pressure of 22 mm Hg , the
- ASSESSMENT TASK TWO Presentation & Portfolio Instructions Now you need to deliver a presentation to train Australian Hardware managers on how to implement the
- What is the quadratic function that is created with roots -10 and -4 and a vertex at (-7, -9)?