(50 words min, no cut and paste, cite refs "no wiki")
in Europe, products meant for consumers must be proven safe before they're allowed on the market. In the US, products sold to consumers must be proven harmful before they're removed from the market. This has led to many harmful chemicals in our homes and on our bodies.
We've been talking about air, water, (and food-soil) toxics that can be ingested. How much is ingested in all? Physicians for Social Responsibility just issued a report finding that there are thousands of potentially hazardous chemicals that can make their way into our bodies and be stored there. Of these only a very small number have been researched by the US government for long term effects.
As I mentioned last week, there is a concept called "body load" or "body burden" which is the amount of foreign, potentially toxic chemicals each one of us stores over our lifetime. Generally, we each have about 100 such foreign chemicals in our bodies.
Choose three potential threats to your personal health from the following list:
1) Teflon (PFC's in general)
2) Phthalates in shampoos, soaps, etc. - (often listed as "Fragrance" on labels)
3) Bisphenol - A or BPA (sometimes plastics #5 & #7)
4) Microwaved plastic
6) Paint (VOC's - Volatile organic compounds)
7) High fructose corn syrup (HFCS - corn sweetener)
8) Partially-hydrogenated oil/trans-fats
9) GM (genetically-modified) food
10) SAR (specific absorption rate) for Cellphones
11) Acrylamide in french fries and other foods
12) Diacetyl in microwave popcorn
13) MSG (often appearing on labels as Ajinomoto, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, vegetable protein, plant protein extract, sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate, yeast extract, textured protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed oat flour, etc.)
14) PERC (dry cleaning)
Research what these chemical substances are, or what chemical substances are contained in the item that makes them dangerous. What personal care or household products contain these chemicals? Do you use any?
What are the risks and dangers to personal health?
What can be done to protect yourself and your family?
Dear Student Please find... View the full answer