Following is a list of 21 questions. You should be able to address/answer each one of them in order to be prepared
for the multiple choice section.
1. What is the most important evolutionary difference between sexual and asexual reproduction?
2. How do haplontic and diplontic life cycles differ from each other?
3. Why is bacterial conjugation often described as a form of sex, even though it differs in many respects from eukaryotic sex?
4. Sexual selection only began to operate after the evolution of sperm and eggs because:
5. What correctly defines anisogamy?
6. Sex has many disadvantages, including what happening to favorable gene combinations?
7. An asexual genetic system is less vulnerable to the spread of "selfish" genes than a sexual system. True or false?
8. What is considered a life-history trait? What is not considered a life history trait?
9. What kind of variation in a population is represented explicitly in demographic models?
10. A comprehensive understanding of life-history evolution requires what types of information
11. Plants living in an environment with growing seasons that vary unpredictably in length mature:
12. Reproductive investment is determined by the product of the number of offspring and
13. An adaptation is best defined as
14. Which of the following conditions are necessary for adaptive evolution in a trait to occur?
I. Variation among individuals in lifetime reproductive success. II. Inheritance of acquired characters. III. Heritable variation in the trait. IV. Little to no genetic variation.
15. The individual features (i.e., phenotypic traits) of all organisms are the result of
16. What are possible evolutionary consequences of neutral genetic variation?
17. What is the relationship between genetic drift and population size?
18. Additive genetic variance is
19. The most likely explanation for the high amounts of molecular genetic variation observed in populations under study is:
20. The maintenance of quantitative genetic variation underlying quantitative traits is most likely maintained by:
21. Reaction norm analysis demonstrates that …