Review the industry involved in the chosen data set and provide a brief yet comprehensive overview of that industry sector, including history, current environment, transformations and future scope.
Business model and environment
Identify the business model best suited to the scenarios as well as identifying their target audience and value proposition. Using the following analysis methods, conduct an analysis of the chosen business.
· SWOT analysis
· Porter's five forces.
Answer those questions based on the following business profile:
The Cakes and Buns business was born in Inkerman St, St Kilda in October 1985. It first started out as a stand at the local market were Jillian Norman and Rosie Khol used it as a way of supplementing their university costs. It only took a short time before they gained a huge following of regular customers, their customers enjoyed the 'in your face boldness' of their sweet creations and as well as their unique use of fruit flavours and odd shapes to differentiate themselves from other similar products.
Their first store opened up in 1990, where it struggled to compete against the majors including (Brumby's, Bakers Delight) for the first 3 years. It wasn't until 1993, when one of their most loyal customers became a recognised tv and film star. As a favour he ate one their products on a locally produced tv show, thus promoting their products. Since then, they have become the preferred snack for many rock stars, tv and film stars and various other youth personalities. They now have three stores in Melbourne (St Kilda, Carlton and one in Mornington), but they have received a lot of interest from customers overseas, mainly from ex-backpackers from Germany, Sweden and Japan.
They now wish to develop an online presence to promote their products to the local market as well as the offshore market. The founders still have a hands on role in running the business, but realise that they do not have the skills or the personnel on staff to achieve a professional result.Company Details
HQ: Cakes and Buns Company
521 Lygon St Carlton, 3005
Telephone: (03) 9555 3555
Mobile: 0417 3060984, Facsimile: (03) 9555 3556
The Cake and Buns Co. strategy has always been to possess a deep understanding of the catering and casual eating market. Utilising 30 years of experience, our family owned and run business fully understand the need to produce quality food while maintaining prices at an affordable level.
With the help of our sister shops, we produce all our products in house, preservative free, so you know you are getting the freshest tastiest products available.
Capable of catering for a large functions while also small and flexible enough to cater to your individual requirements.Business Details
1. 521 Lygon St, Carlton - Open 9.00am till 6.00pm Mon-Fri and 9.00am till 4.00pm Sat-Sun
2. 65 Fitroy St, St Kilda - Open 9.00am till 6.00pm Mon-Fri and 9.00am till 4.00pm Sat-Sun
3. 36 Main St, Mornington- Open 9.00am till 6.00pm Mon-Fri and 9.00am till 3.00pm Sat-SunCurrent Personnel
Jillian Norman and Rosie Khol - Age: 42 and 39
· Joint owners and founders of "Cakes and Buns"
· Not computer savvy, but can use them if necessary
· No real Internet experience apart from general surfing
Kay Camp - General Manager - Age: 32
· Graduate business student
· Uses computers frequently
Lana Sandhurst - Accounts Manager - Age:43
· Qualified CPA
· Uses computers frequently
· Limited knowledge of ebusiness
Gary Soprano - Inventory and Stock controller - Age: 37
· TAFE graduate -Business Administration and Accounts
· Fluent user of computers, currently studying eBusiness.
Catriona Burns - Store Manger, Carlton - Age:29
Karen Galvez - Store Manager, St Kilda - Age:26
Melanie Ryan - Store Manager, Mornington - Age:25
And various casuals employees.Proposed Web Site
· About Us / Contact Us
· Business History
· Design a Logo
· Products - Hip and funky works of art that you can eat.
· Mission Statement " food with attitude"
· Design an Online purchasing and feedback facility
· Links to other sites - various youth sites