Cuba: The Costas of Havana
ONE WEEK'S FOOD IN APRIL
Grains & Other Starchy Foods: $1.08
malanga (potatolike vegetable), 9.9 lb bread ration, 8.8 lb
potato ration, 6.6 lb
white rice ration, 6.6 lb
pasta ration, spaghetti, 2.2 lb cornmeal, 1 lb
yogurt ration,‡ 1.9 gal cheese, 2.2 lb
Meat, Fish & Eggs: $15.71
chicken, 3.3 lb
pork chops, 2.2 lb
egg ration, 12
fish,‡ 1.1 lb, caught by Ramon pork leg, frozen, 1 lb
Fruits, Vegetables & Nuts: $4.19
watermelons,‡ 26.5 lb
yellow bananas, 6.8 lb
oranges, 4.4 lb
pineapple, 2.6 lb
limes, 2.2 lb, for drinks and preparation of
papayas, 2.2 lb guava, 1.1 lb
white onions, 4.2 lb green cabbage, 1 head black beans, 1.7 lb red beans, 1.7 lb lettuce, 1.4 lb cucumbers, 1.1 lb garlic, 1.1 lb tomatoes, 1.1 lb
tomato sauce, 1 box red pepper, 8 oz
green pepper, 8 oz
vegetable oil ration, 1.1 qt
white sugar, 2.2 lb
salsa, 12 oz
red and green chili peppers, 8.8 oz salt, 8.8 oz
Ybarra vinegar, 4 fl oz mayonnaise, 2.5 fl oz black pepper, 2 oz Maggi allspice, 2 oz oregano, 2 oz
Wong Wing soy sauce, 0.9 fl oz
La Anita bijol (seasoning made from
annotto seeds), 0.3 oz
Snacks & Desserts: $5.00
Cakes, small, 10
Prepared Food: $3.05
Spaghetti sauce,‡ 1.1 qt
During the week Lisandra has lunch at school or joins her brother Mario at her aunt's apartment for rice, beans, eggs, and/or fish. Ramon and Sandra eat the same foods for lunch at their places of employment.
Once a week, Sandra likes to go for Chinese food with the whole family; she likes fried rice.
Ciego Montero TuKola cola, 2 1.6-qt bottles
Cristal beer, 7 12-fl - oz cans coffee ration, 1.1 lb
Amor liquor, 8.5 fl oz
tap water for drinking and cooking.
Miscellaneous: Food Expenditure for One Week: Cerelac ration,‡ fed to dog. $1,475.88
Cuban pesos: $56.76
Question: Question: What does this family's weekly groceries reveal or suggest about
- the family's standard of living?
- the lifestyle of the family members' lives?
- the political situation of the country?
- the environmental impact of food choice?
- the economic situation of food choices?
- cultural influences?
Answer in 300 words
Recently Asked Questions
- Which of the following standard organizations is responsible for developing standards involving cable installations? IEEE TIA ANSI ISO
- Discuss how branding, marketing, and communication influences a consumer’s choice when considering an appropriate managed care health insurance plan.
- 1. Explain the impact media and social networking have on consumers when choosing the most appropriate managed care health insurance plans. Consider the