1. Discuss the arguments for using a large smoothing constant for exponential smoothing instead of a small one. Under what conditions would each be better? Why?
2. Describe in your own words why using the MAD is better for describing the forecast error than is the MFE. What is the major use of each? Should they really be used together? Why or Why not?
3. Given the following data:
a. Calculate the four weighted moving average for periods 5 through 9 using weights of 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 and 0.4 where the 0.4 is the weight for the most recent period.
b. Calculate the forecasts for periods 4 through 9 using 3 month moving average.
c. Use the regression equation to find the forecast for period 9. To find the equation you can use Excel or any other software of your preference. A tutorial is available for you if you wish to use it.
4. A forecasting method resulted in the following forecasts shown by the data in the following table.
a. Use the data to calculate the MAD.
b. Find a regression equation for the demand data.
c. Use the regression equation to forecast demand for period 11.
d. Is the regression method preferred over the method used? Why or why not?
Recently Asked Questions
- how do you do well in accounting? What are examples of current liability and assets?
- Discuss four compensation system design issues. What is internal and external equity? Are there aspects of compensation design at your work that are an issue.
- Using the appropriate accounting equation, study the following transactions identify the effec tof each on assets, liabilities stockholders'equity,as