Read the Welcome Announcement and Course Syllabus. Post a short message (to this assignment) telling me that you have read and understand both documents. If anything is not clear, let me know immediately.
Read Chapter One: Strategic Management and Strategic Competitiveness. This includes the vignettes on McDonald's and Starbucks-- they are important to your understanding of the real-world application of the Chapter contents. You should use the Chapter power points posted in Lectures as a guide and to help with note keeping and understanding the material.
After reviewing the chapter it is very important that you not only learn the word and phrases used in strategic planning but also be able to understand and relate what you have learned to actual businesses . Specifically you should be able to able to explain.
1. What is strategy? Why is important?
2. What is meant by "Above-Average returns" Understanding what this concept means in everyday business operations is very, very important!!!
3. The I/0 and Resource Based Models of Above-Average Returns.
Assignment: Write and post a short essay (with examples) to illustrate your understanding of each of the three above subjects.
MEMO:You will note that on the side of each page in your textbook there are definitions of key terms. You are responsible for making sure that you understand each of these terms. By "understand" I mean that you can explain the term and you can give an example of how the term is used in business. If you are not sure ASK - Post your questions in the Blackboard Discussion forum so it can be shared with the rest of the class.
In business it is not enough that you understand and know how to apply your knowledge. Managers cannot manage alone-they need to build and work with motivated teams. So a manager must be able to communicate his/her ideas to others. Presentation skills are of vital importance.
Read the "Preparing an Effective Case Analysis" on page iv to ix in your textbook -- this is in the CASE STUDIES section of your textbook immediately following Chapters 1- 13. Starting next week we will be studying a real-life case every two weeks.
Assignment: Write and post a short memo telling me that you have read, understand and can apply the information covered in this section, especially Table 2 General Outline for an Oral or Written Presentation.
If you are not sure about anything ASK - Post your questions in the Blackboard Discussion forum so it can be shared with the rest of the class.
Finally, Managers must be able to work in and with teams. The Weekly Discussions will be a vital part of this course -- especially in the understanding and developing of the real-world cases we will be studying.
You are expected to contribute to the discussions which are an important component of your final grade (see the course syllabus).
I look forward to working with you.
Recently Asked Questions
- What is a real world example of Michael Porters cost and quality of production (Factor Endowments) that has expanded globally and faced challenges related to
- Imagine you work for a successful company that has spent time focusing strategically on its organizational behavior. Your company has started to gain
- For an ideal gas classify the following pairs of properties as directly or inversely proportional. V and n ; P and V; P and T ; P and n ; T and V