1. Labor Relations Project
The organization is a medium-sized independent living home, Happy Trails, LLC. It is a for-profit facility located in a suburban environment. Due to traffic and road congestion, this eldercare facility is the most convenient independent living home near the city. Independent living homes in the city offer many of the same services as Happy Trails, but are more expensive. There are also a number of hospitals that the elderly may go to for acute health care issues.
In a response to the changing economy and patient access from the suburban areas to the city, Happy Trails has taken some measures to compete and become more attractive, and build on its long-term care for patients in the surrounding areas. It has reduced overtime allotments of its seasoned patient care staff, and has terminated several registered nurses. As the registered nurses have left Happy Trails, they were replaced by Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), who receive lower compensation and fewer benefits.
The health care facilities in the city have been unionized and are well represented by an experienced union business agent. The union has recently negotiated superior wages and benefits at the independent living homes in the city.
In terms of the health care professionals employed there, Happy Trails is not so happy now because the union representing the other facilities has gotten the attention of the Happy Trails LPNs.
As a Learning Team, you are a group of individuals who are members of a consulting firm. You are responsible for representing these LPNs and advising them regarding the following questions:
The requirements of the Learning Team:
a. The LPNs have asked for your advice:
1) What would you advise the LPNs to do? Should they unionize? What are the advantages and disadvantages of unionizing at Happy Trials?
2) What issues might the union raise during the organizing effort?
3) What steps should the LPNs follow to unionize?
4) What unfair labor practices need to be avoided by LPNs?
Include a description of the specific labor laws that cause you to include as you have on the forgoing, and why.
f. Fully discuss your responses to each of the foregoing, and include applicable references.
Recently Asked Questions
- Discuss the qualifications or lack of qualifications for federal court judges
- How do netroots organizations differ in their organization, communication, objectives, recruitment, and tactics from more traditional interest groups?
- Describe how public opinion is measured and some of the challenges that arise with polling. Specifically, discuss what sampling is, why sampling is used, and