• Ezigbo, O. & Bassey, O. (2010) ‘Oil spill—environment practitioners want compensation from shell’ [Online]. Available from: http://allafrica.com/stories/201006300315.html (Accessed: 1 July 2010).
In addition, be sure to incorporate ideas from the following article in your project:
• Donaldson, T. & Preston, L. (1995) ‘The stakeholder theory of the corporation: concepts, evidence, and implications’, The Academy of Management Review, 20 (1), pp.65–91.
In this article, the author discusses the concept of organizational stakeholders and the implications for management.
Your Final Project analysis should address the following:
• Conduct research and provide a brief organisational and historical background on Shell as it relates to its operations, the extent of its globalisation, and its reputation for ethics and corporate social responsibility.
• Identify and discuss how each of the three stakeholders in this wicked problem might make sense of it in different ways. For example, an investor may see the cleanup effort as something that might impact their dividends and returns. However, that same person may also see the cleanup effort as an important fight to minimise harmful impacts on the environment.
• Discuss ways of constructing an understanding of this event that may be productive for the different stakeholders. Identify outcomes that would be reinforced or in conflict with this sense-making.
• In the context of leadership research and established leadership theories, discuss how each of the three stakeholders can have a personal impact on how the situation or problem might be addressed. Identify a way to create a shared understanding of the wicked problem.
Submit approximately 2,000 words in which you:
• Identify the key issues in the situation
• Conduct research and provide organisational and historical background on Shell as it relates to its operations, the extent of its globalisation, and its reputation for ethics and corporate social responsibility.
• Research related literature on being a leader, e.g., leadership and sense-making, transactional leadership, transformational leadership, charismatic leadership and theories on gender and leadership
• Summarise and demonstrate understanding of related literature
• Assess the situation from three primary stakeholder perspectives:
o The Shell CEO
o A local Nigerian Shell employee
o A Shell Investor
• Identify and discuss the various motivations of each of the three stakeholders in this situation. For example, an investor may be motivated by dividends and returns, but also may have personal concern for the environment.
Submit approximately 4,000 words in which you address the following:
• Synthesise theories and models from the Module readings and literature (that address the issue in the situation).
• Utilise effective discussion, analysis and conclusions showing critical thinking to propose solutions and address the following questions:
o Discuss how each of the three stakeholders might make sense of how the situation or problem should be addressed. How would your response or articulation of the problem vary for each of these stakeholders?
o Describe, compare and contrast, and evaluate the various approaches to leadership discussed throughout the Module, as well as what you have learned about yourself to being a leader in this particular situation. Provide alternative directions for bringing resolution based on several different perspectives.
• Provide correct referencing and citation.
In each submission, be sure to cite and reference examples from the Module textbook and journal articles presented in this Module as well as resources you identify from your own research. Your submissions should demonstrate critical analysis of the topic and a coherent application of related theories.
This question was asked on Apr 06, 2011 and answered on Apr 06, 2011.
Recently Asked Questions
- can I get your thoughts on agile Project Management Methodology.
- This assignment seems to be a little confusing and i want to make sure i am on the right track. instructions are below: Practical Application Scenario 1 Refer
- Complete Section III: Creative Strategies This week you will be completing section III of your Marketing Plan based on the company provided to you by your