Using the guidelines from this chapter and other
sources, evaluate the usability of the page design
depicted in PE Figure 8-1.
2. Chapter 8 encourages the design of a help system
early in the design of the human interface. How
would you incorporate help into the interface as
shown in PE Figure 8-1?
3. Describe how cookie crumbs could be used in
this system. Are cookie crumbs a desirable navigation
aid for this system? Why or why not?
4. The page design depicted in PE Figure 8-1 links to
an Order History page. Sketch a similar layout for
the Order History page, following guidelines from
5. Describe how the use of template-based HTML
might be leveraged in the design of the “No Customer
In the questions associated with the Petrie’s Electronics
case at the end of Chapter 7, you were asked
to modify the E-R diagram given in PE Figure 7-1 to
include any other entities and the attributes you
identified from the Petrie’s case. Review your answers
to these questions, and add any additional
needed relations to the document in PE Figure 9-1.
2. Study your answer to Question 1. Verify that the
relations you say represent the Petrie’s Electronics
database are in third normal form. If they are,
explain why. If they are not, change them so that
3. The E-R diagram you developed in questions in
the Petrie’s Electronics case at the end of
Chapter 7 should have shown minimum cardinalities
on both ends of each relationship. Are minimum
cardinalities represented in some way in
the relations in your answer to Question 2? If not,
how are minimum cardinalities enforced in the
4. Using your answer to Question 2, select data
types, formats, and lengths for each attribute of
each relation. Use the data types and formats supported
by Microsoft Access. What data type
should be used for nonintelligent primary keys?
5. Complete all table and field definitions for
the Petrie’s Electronics case database using
Microsoft Access. Besides the decisions you have
made in answers to the preceding questions, fill in
all other field definition parameters for each field
of each table.
6. The one decision for a relational database that
usually influences efficiency the most is index
definition. What indexes do you recommend for
this database? Justify your selection of each index.
Recently Asked Questions
- Consider the following cash flows of two mutually exclusive projects for AZ-Motorcars. Assume the discount rate for AZ-Motorcars is 9 percent. Year AZM
- “Blast it!” said David Wilson, president of Teledex Company. “We’ve just lost the bid on the Koopers job by $2,000. It seems we’re either too high to
- in about 300 words explain how prices are determined in the efficient market and its implication to the finance manager.