Competency 309.3.1: Decision-Making Models - The graduate uses optimizing models and other models as aids for making more informed decisions.
Objective 309.3.1-01: Use probabilistic simulation to estimate the best decision alternative in a given situation.
The following task, in which you are asked to conduct a small number of simulation trials, should be done with manual calculations. Please be aware that the simulation results of such a small number of trials would not be sufficient for one to draw valid conclusions in a real situation. A large number of trials run on a computer would be necessary in order to arrive at a valid conclusion.
Management has asked you to help estimate the most likely cost per unit to produce a new product so that they can project profits at different selling prices. You are to simulate cost behavior using probabilistic simulation (Monte Carlo simulation) and have been provided with the following cost estimates. Materials cost will range between $33 and $39 per unit, labor between $22 and $28 per unit, and utilities between $3 and $6 per unit. The probability distributions of cost per unit are as follows.
• The probability is .18 that the cost will be $33.
• The probability is .23 that the cost will be $35.
• The probability is .32 that the cost will be $38.
• The probability is .27 that the cost will be $39.
• The probability is .12 that the cost will be $22.
• The probability is .18 that the cost will be $23.
• The probability is .22 that the cost will be $24.
• The probability is .28 that the cost will be $25.
• The probability is .20 that the cost will be $28.
• The probability is .26 that the cost will be $3.
• The probability is .43 that the cost will be $4.
• The probability is .31 that the cost will be $6.
A. Complete the attached “Simulation Template” to determine the following costs:
1. Average materials cost per unit
2. Average labor cost per unit
3. Average utilities cost per unit
4. Average total cost per unit
Note: Run 10 trials using the random numbers that are provided on the “Simulation Template” for each probability distribution. Use the random numbers in the exact sequence that they appear on the template for each cost.
Note: Submit your completed spreadsheet as an attachment to this task.
B. Determine the selling price per unit that should be established for this product using your simulation results and assuming that the company wants to realize an average markup of $20 on each unit sold.
C. If you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: Please save word-processing documents as *.rtf (Rich Text Format) or *.pdf (Portable Document Format) files.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the attached Rubric Terms.
Note: When using sources to support ideas and elements in a paper or project, the submission MUST include APA formatted in-text citations with a corresponding reference list for any direct quotes or paraphrasing. It is not necessary to list sources that were consulted if they have not been quoted or paraphrased in the text of the paper or project.
Note: No more than a combined total of 30% of a submission can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly. For tips on using APA style, please refer to the APA Handout web link included in the General Instructions section.
Recently Asked Questions
- Create an application that displays the area of a triangular playground in square feet. It should also display the cost of covering the playground with
- In 2000 the United Nations and the United States declared the AIDS epidemic to be an issue of national security. In what way is this true?
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from Hytema Decision Making.doc.