Consider a situation in which a female employee who has worked for a long time where you work or have worked. She has recently been confined to a wheelchair as a result of a traffic accident, which left her a paraplegic. Assume that you are her supervisor and you need to develop a plan for any changes in the physical work environment that will be required to accommodate her return to work.
Your tasks are:
(1) Develop a list of changes that may be needed and budget for each of the changes.
(2) Develop a plan for ensuring that she will be treated in a sensitive manner, consistent with the content of chapter 14, by coworkers as well as yourself.
(3) Prepare a guide that you can use when talking to her to obtain her input on all aspects of both of these plans.
(4) Describe any problems that she is likely to encounter when she returns to work, and how you will attempt to avoid them or deal with them if they occur.
(5) Describe how to work with her co-workers to support her, and have efficient results in your department (to elaborate on this point consider the information posted under “Readings for week 7” in course document link.)
Note: Use the following websites to obtain information needed for your plans: the Job Accommodation Network, www.jan.wvu.edu and the Searchable Online Accommodation Resource (SOAR), www.jan.wvu.edu/soar/wheelchair.html.
Your requested... View the full answer